304 Signal Squadron (Infantry Brigade) (TA)
Blacon Point House, Blacon, Chester
304 Signal Squadron was formed from 23 (Independent) Armoured Brigade Signal Squadron (TA) which started its life in Liverpool in 1939.
Training was carried out continuously from September 1939 until May 1942 when the Signals sailed overseas with the 23rd (Independent) Armoured Brigade as part of the 8th Armoured Division.
Arriving in Egypt in July 1942, the Brigade was in action within two weeks and in August/September saw further action in the El Alamein box. November/December 1942 found the Signals taking part in the 800 mile march across the desert to El Agheila and the capture of Tripoli in January 1943. Other actions were undertaken by the Brigade under the 50th (Northumbrian) Division and the 51st (Highland) Division culminating in the final battle in Africa at Enfideville in May 1943, with the 4th (Indian) Division and the 56th (London) Division.
June 1943 was spent in re-equipping and training in Tunisia and in September 1943 came the assault on the Italian mainland at Salerno with the US 5th Army. May 1944 saw the breakout from Anzio, the Brigade supporting Canadians with the 8th Army. In June 1944, the Brigade was withdrawn to the Middle East to recuperate and re-train.
The Brigade next moved in October 1944 to occupy Greece, remaining in Greece and Salonika on garrison duties for some time.
At the end of the war, the Signals, in common with other units of the Brigade, was placed in suspended animation in May 1946.
In January 1947, the Signal Squadron was re-formed under the command of Major K Maxwell Brown TD at Signal House, Score Lane, Liverpool, and moved to Lache Park Camp, Chester in May 1948 when recruiting had to start afresh.
The Squadron remained at Lache Park Camp, being kept extremely busy with the training of not only volunteers but also National Servicemen. The camp at Lache Park was eventually disposed of in 1957 and the Squadron moved to Blacon Point House, Blacon, Cheshire.
On 1st September 1959, under the re-designation of Royal Signals units, the Squadron became 304 Signal Squadron (Armoured Brigade) (TA).
In March 1961, when the Territorial Army lost its Armoured Brigades, the Squadron became an Infantry Brigade Signal Squadron and was placed under command of 42nd (Lancashire) Signal Regiment (TA). The Squadron, being located in Chester, formed the Signal Squadron for 126 Infantry Brigade (TA) whose Headquarters had been moved into the Dale Camp at Chester.
The change in role from armoured to Infantry Brigade Signals entailed a tremendous amount of work and training men in such trades as Communication Centre Operator and Radio Relay men which had not previously been part of the Squadron structure.
Succession of Squadron Commanders
42 Signal Squadron is still recruiting spare-time soldiers to
train on Tuesday evenings, weekends, plus a 2-week exercise each year,