No.3 Squadron, 42nd (Lancashire) Infantry Divisional Signal Regiment, TA
Signal House, Score Lane, Liverpool
Number 3 Squadron was the worthy descendant of honourable forebears, the first of which was the 1st Lancashire Engineer Volunteer Corps formed in 1860. Seven members of the 1st Corps volunteered to serve in Suakin during the Sudan Campaign of 1885 and twenty-six in the Boer War in South Africa 1901-1902. On formation of the Territorial Force on 1st April 1908, the 1st Corps formed the Western Wireless, Air-Line and Cable Telegraph Companies. The West Lancashire Divisional Telegraph Company became the West Lancashire Divisional Signal Company and served with distinction during the First World War.
In 1923 when the Territorial Army was re-formed after the Great War of 1914-18, 55th (West Lancashire) Divisional Signals was formed and was commanded by Colonel J Tennant. Headquarters was at Mason Street, Liverpool with No.2 Company at Prescot, Lancashire.
In 1935, Colonel Baron succeeded Colonel Dodd in command, an appointment which he held until 1942, when he left to take up an appointment in 1st Corps.
During this time, No.2 Company at Prescot had gone from strength to strength, due in no small measure to the leadership of Major FJ Behn, the Company Commander from 1931 to 1936.
In 1937 the new Drill Hall at Score Lane, Childwall, Liverpool was opened with pomp and ceremony by General Sir Henry Jackson KCB CMG DSO. It was named Signal House and Headquarters, No.1 and No.3 Companies of 55th Divisional Signals moved-in, complete with a staggering collection of silver plate.
In 1938 the Regiment was called on to provide the cadre and Headquarters and one company of the new 4th Anti-Aircraft Divisional Signals.
In 1939 the Territorial Army expanded beyond recognition following the abortive peace moves of 1938. A duplication of the regiment called the ‘second-line’ was formed under the command of Lieutenant Colonel RW Bailey. The ‘second-line’, then named 59 Motor Divisional Signals had a varied existence. In 1940 they left 59th Division and were renamed 4th Army Signals. They later became known as 4th Line of Communication Signals, in which role they went to the Middle East, to be known eventually as 8th Army Signals - an exacting role which they performed with credit.
After World War Two, the ‘second-line’ reformed as 59th (Mixed) Signal Regiment, TA, shrinking in 1967 to become 59 Signal Squadron (Volunteers), part of 33rd Signal Regiment (Volunteers).
During the war years, 55 Divisional Signals suffered the fate of many. After being shuttled around the country, staying for a short time in places such as Leicester, Worcester and York, they were turned into a training unit on disbandment of 55 Division.
On post-WW2 re-formation of the Territorial Army on 1st May 1947, Signal House, Score Lane became the Headquarters of 22 Corps Signal Regiment, TA under the command of Lieutenant Colonel A Ellison MBE TD, formerly a Company Commander in 55 Divisional Signals.
In the 1949 re-organization of the Territorial Army, 22 Corps Signal Regiment was made part of the Supplementary Reserve. Those members who chose not to accompany their unit into the comparative obscurity of the Supplementary Reserve remained at Signal House and became the nucleus of the new No.3 Squadron of 42nd (Lancashire) Infantry Divisional Signal Regiment, TA which officially formed in 1950.
By 1965 No.3 Squadron had a detachment at Greenway Road, Runcorn, Cheshire. The detachment existed to recruit and train Women’s Royal Army Corps volunteers as drivers for 42nd (Lancashire) Signal Regiment (TA). Although the detachment shared the TA Centre with part of 59th (Mixed) Signal Regiment, TA, it was administered and controlled by No.3 Squadron from Signal House.
In the defence reforms of 1967, No.3 Squadron was disbanded and Signal House was taken over by a TA infantry unit, the Liverpool Scottish, and re-named Forbes House.
Diagrammatic History of No.3 Squadron, 42nd (Lancashire) Infantry Divisional Signal Regiment, TA
Roll of 1st East Lancashire Engineer Volunteers - Suakin, Sudan 1885
Roll of 1st East Lancashire Royal Engineers (Volunteers) Service Section - South Africa 1901-1902
Succession of Squadron Commanders - No.3 Squadron 42nd (Lancashire) Signal Regiment (TA)
42 Signal Squadron is still recruiting spare-time soldiers to
train on Tuesday evenings, weekends, plus a 2-week exercise each year,